Thursday, May 10, 2007

Moonchild

He yawned. It was two in the morning. And, why not? He has been awake for hours and hours on his computer, without much success. Editing a school paper is tough work. All the boring articles, all the really boring essays, all the ultra-boring banter. Ho-Hum! And the spelling mistakes! Atrocious, to say the very least. He yawned again. No more of boredom. He got up stretched and went downstairs. Caffeine made no difference anymore. He still felt sleepy. A quick trip to the wash-basin helped, but not much.

"...and what else is new? Do you need anything?"

"Not, that I know of. Yes you can help me with the editing. Make me a crossword. Or, make it two!"

"Why should I, duh! Your school paper."

"Please, please! I am knee deep in trouble here!"

"All right, kore debo ja!"


...the voices kept going round and round in his head. What the hell, was he going mad? Can't he even have a sane conversation with people, without it going round and round in his head? Damn, more coffee.

Ah, that felt better. Back to work, but before that a litle trip to the terrace would feel better. Once in the terrace, he looked up. A twinkling little thing made its presence felt by shooting across the amazingly starry sky...

".....do you wish upon stars?"

"Naah, not much, don't notice them! Keno?"

"Na, wish upon them na?"

"Ha ha ha, are you ordering me? Chol ekshathe kori."

"Fine...."

"What did you wish?"

"I won't tell you, duh, it's not meant to be told to anyone"

"Amay bolbi na?"

"Na."


.....he shook his head vigorously. Too much coffee, he needed sleep. So he turned in.

Next Morning. A news headline caught everyone in his street in shock:

Kolkata, 18th December, 2006; A teen jumped off the third floor of his house today. The police think he committed suicide at around 2.30 am in the morning. A hysterical mother said the boy complained of voices in his head since the morning. Doctors suggest a mental disorder. Further investigations reveal a bizarre suicide note on the boy's laptop where he was working last. An empty coffee mug was found on the terrace where he is presumed to have jumped off from. The boy was....

12 comments:

Suswagata said...

i hear voices in my head tooo
they tell me to go to sleep
nt jump off roofs!

Puck said...

I second that!
I hear voices too.
Infact, i think it's very sane.

&i've not jumped off my roof yet.
But good work, i must say.
You captured it well.
Insane.
Abrupt.
Nice. :)

and, btw, the boy is..........?

storyteller said...

For once you really freaked me out.....I cant say that I identify with what you wrote but I feel all the angst,and cruel as it may sound there is an almost vicarious pleasure in that.That's the mark of mature writing....

storyteller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Esmo said...

jumping off a roof is a lame way of commiting suicide...you might end up crippled!!!!!!If abetting suicide wasnt a crime, i'd have suggested better methods!!
But seriously...stop it..it isnt healthy.
oh and shreya...writing like that isnt mature..its disturbing.

The Mindbender said...

umm...what?? Rijoy, what on earth was that post about?

little boxes said...

freaky....
but i understand!!!
all of us go through that...
some go for the terrace,some go for the knife!!!
after all,to us...life is a "crossword puzzle" whose clues we have lost...

Achluophobia said...

Yes yes thank you, all of you. This post was meant to be disturbing. Was meant to be freaky, scary. Itz abt the things we all have gone thru and maybe will go thru, and itz abt not committing the same mistakes others make.

Rajarshi said...

"pompous ass"...why thank you!

The Darkish Overlord said...

sadly, i never hear voices in my head...*i want to, i want to*...
i have only one advice for you:
a new day, a new newspaper, a new crossword puzzle...

stay well

An Extraordinary Life said...

i like your writing.. its real.. its uncomplicated.. yet it retains depth..

Lucid Darkness said...

This post was right up my street. Although, seriously, there are better more effective methods to go about the business. And... one should keep back-up plans. I know for sure that hot-headed, or even caffeine-headed attempts don't work.

As for the voices, I think it must be normal enough. I hear voices *singing* in my head! As long as they don't tell you to bump off your old Grandma I guess they're fine.

Nice post.